The beginnings of protection from epidemics in Osijek is linked with the beginnings of the 18th century, when epidemics, such as the plague and cholera decimated the population in Slavonia and Srijem.
However, creation of permanent protection from epidemics throughout the Habsburg Empire, and in Croatia lasted from the time of Emperor Charles III. (1710-1740) and the publishing of a series of health care provisions, regulations and laws to the standards of time of Empress Maria Theresa (1740th-1780th), when the entire public health of the Monarchy was regulated by the "health regulations" of Gerard von Swieten int the year 1770.
In 1906 preventive measures that were suposed to be implemented to protect human health were first emphasized.
After World War I came the separation of sanitary services from the health care, and in implementing this reorganization and improvement of health services md. Andrija Stampar was particularly emphasized as the Head of Social Hygiene of the Ministry of Public Health, who in the period from 1921 to 1931 radically reformed public health.
The result of these efforts was the establishment of public health centers across the state, and intensive efforts were made on the education of the population.
Because in this post-war period there was no public health services of this purpose in Osijek in 1926 a Health Center was opened at the General Hospital (todays Department of Neurology, University Hospital in Osijek) in the Lower Town.
With the opening of the Health Center with numerous services better health care for the population was provided in the city on the river Drava, especially with the outpatient and the anti-epidemic service.
The health care system included from the summer of 1925, the newly founded, bacteriological station, which was elevated to the degree of institute and the name was changed to the Epidemiological Institute.
After the administrative reform at the state level and the adoption of the "Regulation on the organization of the county Board of Osijek area" in 1928 8 departments for areas of public life that were of particular interest to the community were established.
That year the Epidemiology Institute was completely integrated into the work of the Health center as its specialized sanitary-epidemiological service that worked, until the end of the Second World War,to combat infectious diseases, detection of carriers and establishing epidemiological measures. Its professional employees were engaged in disinfestation, disinfection and pest control.
Links to the activities of the Institute:
- The Directorate
- Epidemiology Service
- Department of Public Health
- Microbiology Service
- Department of School Health
- Department of Environmental Health
- Department for Disinfection, Disinsection and Deratization
Centre for Mental Health Protection, prevention and outpatient treatment of addiction
- Department of Accounting and Finance
- Department of Legal and Human Resources and General Affairs
- Department of Procurement